Sports & Clubs
Johannesburg has one of the most amazing climates in the world making it a fabulous place to exercise with everything on offer that you would find in any country.
- Crossfit – www.crossfitjozi.co.za
Both mountain biking and road biking are very popular in South Africa. The Cape Argus is the largest mass participation road biking event in the world and takes place every March. Johannesburg has its own annual cycling event, the Momentum 94.7 which happens every November. www.cyclechallenge.co.za
People tend to join cycling clubs rather that riding on their own as it is much safer to be in a group. Be aware, you will be expected to start cycling before the sun comes up!
- Rock Hoppers members meet once a month at different off-road tracks on the outskirts of the city, usually to race laps on a 7-8km course. You can visit for more details www.rmbc.co.za.
- Johannesburg Mountain Bike Club has weekly rides of up to 45km at various locations. You can get all the details from the website www.jmbc.org.za . If you need to hire a bike – the best place is Linden Cycles, you can contact them on 011 782 7313.
- There are many road biking clubs. One reasonably large road club is Club 100. www.club100.co.za
South Africa is the premier golfing destination in the world, there are some fabulous golf courses in and around Johannesburg and the prices are very reasonable. Here are a few….
- Bryanston Country Club – www.bryanstoncc.co.za
- Glendower Golf Course – www.glendower.co.za
- Royal Johannesburg & Kensington Golf Club – www.royaljk.za.com
- Riverclub Golf Club – www.sa-venues.com/golf/river-club-golf-course.php
There are two major gym groups in Johannesburg; Virgin Active www.virginactive.co.za and Planet Fitness www.planetfitness.co.za. They both have fabulous facilities and are dotted around the suburbs. Gym culture in South Africa is huge and you will find during peak hours most of the gyms are packed. As an expat when joining a gym you will need to produce your passport and address verification.
Rugby is one of South Africa’s big three sports, alongside football and cricket. For many South African fans rugby is a serious matter, a source of bursting pride and joy or shattering disappointment. There are many school boy rugby clubs around the country. I have to mention Pirates as I have spent so much time there over the past six years. The club caters for boys from the ages of 7-13 www.piratesclub.co.za
Emirates Airline Park in Johannesburg is the home of the local Xerox Golden Lions Rugby Union, the local team.
Other rugby clubs in the Johannesburg area are:
- Diggers Rugby Club – Randburg – diggersrugby.co.za
- Wanderers Rugby Club – Illovo – wanderersrugby.co.za
- Roodepoort Rugby Club – Roodepoort – www.roodepoortrugby.co.za
- Wasps Rugby Club – Edenvale – www.waspsrugbyclub.co.za
- Inquinq Rugby Club – Fourways – inquinarfc.co.za
Another rugby initiative is The Titans which is aimed at providing a platform for players that are not quite making provincial or selection rugby. Titans assist in the development of these players and provide coaching and an insight at a level to which they are trying to evolve. www.titansrugby.co.za Contact:
I run on the roads and always run with the dog as well as having my wits about me. Just be careful as you would in any country. One of the best websites to go to if you want information on running clubs, races, fun runs, marathons etc is www.runnersguide.co.za
Trail running is a huge sport here and becoming more and more popular. Trail running events take place in a variety of breath-taking and often wild locations. They range from one-day to three-day events, catering for the adventurous sports enthusiast. All events are family friendly and cater for families with KidZone facilities.
Feeling on top of the world at the Old Mutual Wild Series Mont-Aux-Sources Challenge…Beautiful conditions, spectacular setting and adventurous runners, this event had it all – and is certainly not for the faint-hearted with climbing up chain ladders and scrambling down the Gully. "This is an awesome experience, my first one and I really didn't see this coming. This is a challenge for sure." #MAS2017 runner.Come on a visual journey with us as we take a look at this stunning clip of highlights from the event, by Danegerous Pictures.For results race results, visit: http://results.finishtime.co.za/results.aspx?CId=35&RId=10020WildlandsJonsson WorkwearEzemvelo KZN WildlifeTime FreightKZN Trail RunningRunner's World Magazine South Africa
Posted by WildSeriesTrail on Sunday, 10 September 2017
It is so important, absolutely critical that any child moving to or living in Johannesburg must learn to swim as soon as possible. Most houses have swimming pools and are usually covered or have fencing around them but it is not worth unnecessary risks.
- Val’s Swim School – Parkmore – Call & leave a message on her phone & she will message you. 0834450990 www.jozikids.co.za/listing/zach-and-vals-swim-school
- The Wahooquatic Centre – Sunninghill – www.wahoo.co.za
Carla Farina has been coaching for 11 years and this year in August 2017 she opened her own tennis academy. Game Set Match Tennis Academy which was an absolute dream come true for her.
Carla writes “I have so much passion that I want to share and would love to give you the option to try out one of the many offerings I have and test it out for your self. I am an avid trail runner and am in the process of raising funds for Wildlands Conservation Trust and am completely crazy but in a good way.
I am absolutely passionate about children and honestly believe there is so much to learn through sport that goes far beyond the court. I see myself as a mentor and leader to the children I coach and hope that I can, even if in the smallest way possible add value to their lives.
Game Set Match Tennis Academy: 33 Abercorn Avenue, Craighall, Johannesburg, Gauteng
Some of the gyms have yoga classes but for more specialised classes such as pilates, a good friend of mine has a fully equipped studio, offering both private, one on one and group classes, it is conveniently situated just five minutes from the Sandton CBD, Bryanston, and surrounding areas. A lot of her clients are expats!